Shiraae is kind of a Japanese salad made from mashed tofu, carrots, green beans, and konnyaku (which I think is a type of potato plant or yam). It is easy to make and very healthy! My mother loved to make this salad because she was a busy teacher and never had much time to cook after she got home from work. She would just grab some tofu on the way home from the local super market and cook this in no time. It’s a perfect side dish but can also be a main meal too!
I did not really like it when I was a small child, but now my taste buds have changed as I’ve aged and now this is by far my favourite salad. I could eat this for every meal. This is great a dish if you are following a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle because it is packed with healthy veggies and lots of protein from the tofu! Konnyaku is also very healthy and low in calories. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 60 g Konnyaku
- 1/2 carrot
- 100 g Green beans
- 150 g Tofu firm or silken
- 1 1/2 tbs roasted white sesame seeds
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs usukuchi soy sauce
- Put paper towel around the tofu and put a weight (like a plate or bowl) on top of the tofu to take out the excess water.
- Cut the konnyaku, carrot, and green beans into bite size pieces and cook them in boiling water for a few minutes.
- Drain them and put aside.
- In a mortor and pestle, grind the sxesame seeds.
- Break the tofu into the mortor and add sugar and soy sauce and mix/grind well.
- Add the konnyaku, carrot, and green beans and mix all together and serve in a small bowl.