Unlike Japan, which has four clear distinct seasons, Australia basically has one; Summer. Sometimes it can get a little chilly, but it’s usually just hot or less hot. So ice-cream can be eaten all year round, especially now as we move in to Spring and it gets hotter during the day.
Ice-cream is usually a lot of carbohydrates but since I’m getting back to my weight training I need more protein in my diet. So I decided to make ice-cream as a treat but made it protein-packed with a Japanese ingredient: tofu! Tofu sounds like a weird ingredient to eat in ice-cream, and if you read my pancake recipe in which I added Japanese mayonnaise, you might be thinking that I add the most unusual ingredients and that maybe I’m a little crazy. But I promise I’m not and these ingredients really work to enhance the recipe and add a little something extra (legally blonde reference!). And trust me, you won’t taste the tofu at all (just like you won’t taste the mayo in the pancakes)!
The tofu makes this ice-cream a lot healthier than normal and will you give you a great protein kick. By making the ice-cream yourself at home you can also save yourself from all the preservatives and other unnecessary ingredients added to commercial ice-cream. It’s also very easy to make; I know some other ice-cream recipes require you to stir every few hours but with mine all you need to do is blend the ingredients together and freeze it in a container! So it saves you from the hassle of having to mix it every so often.
The ice-cream itself is delicious but the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Sauce takes it to the next level! It’s also incredibly simple and only requires four ingredients: chocolate chips, smooth peanut butter, butter milk, and maple syrup. According to my daughter, the sauce was the best part, she was eating it out of the pot with a spoon!
I hope you enjoy making this Tofu & Banana Ice-cream with the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Sauce as a nice cool-down treat as it’s getting hotter here in Australia!
- 4 ripened bananas
- 300 g firm tofu
- 6 tbsp condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp grinded vanilla beans
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 50 g chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Place chopped up bananas in a food processor or a blender.
- Break the tofu with your hands into smaller pieces and add into the blender/food processor.
- Add the condensed milk and grinded vanilla bean to the blender/food processor and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a container and place it in a freezer over night.
- Take it out for 10 minutes prior to serving it (to allow it to thaw a little).
- Place all into ingredients into a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Constantly stir the ingredients until they melt and cook together (approx. 5 minutes).
- Once the sauce is cooked, serve on top of ice-cream and top with pieces of banana and nuts.