Scrambled tofu or Iridofu in Japanese, is a protein packed, delicious and healthy dish flavoured with dried shiitake mushroom umami stock. Scrambled tofu is so good with plain white steamed rice.
Apart from taking excess water off the tofu, this dish is a fairly quick meal. No wonder my mother often fed Scrambled tofu to us – it can be ready in 30 minutes. She was a working mum and she often just grabbed tofu and chicken meat on the way home. My job was to set the rice cooker so that the rice would be ready she got home.
There are two types of Tofu: firm and silken tofu. The firm tofu is called Momen tofu and the silken tofu is called Kinugoshi tofu. Both Momen and kinu are types of fabric. Even many Japanese people believe that firm momen tofu is drained through momen (cotton) fabric and Kinugoshi is drained through Kinu (silk). But in reality, this is not true. The name of Momen (firm) tofu comes from the way the soy bean mixture is drained through Momen cotton but Silken tofu is not drained through silk. It just has the texture of silk. Also because the way each different textured tofu are made, firm tofu has a dense bouncy texture, and silken tofu is smooth and soft because it contains more water than firm tofu.
Therefore, momen firm tofu is used for Marpo tofu, Agedashi tofu, and stir fried dishes like this scrambled tofu. Silken tofu, on the other hand, is eaten as it is cold with salad, and sweets.
The important point of this scrambled tofu is to take excess water off well, otherwise the dish becomes soggy. Taking excess water off takes time but if you use microwave, you can shorten the time. Hope you enjoy this dish.
Scrambled Tofu ( Iri Dofu )
- 300 g firm tofu
- 150 g Chicken mince
- 1 egg
- 30 g carrot
- 30 g sugar peas
- 10 g dried shiitake mushroom
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- shallots to garnish
- 1.5 tbs usukuchi soy sauce
- 1 tbs mirin
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs dried mushroom stock
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in water and set aside. Remember not to throw away the liquid as it is used for stock later.
- Cut carrots into thin 3 cm sticks.
- Parboil sugar peas and cut thinly.
- Cut shallots
- Wrap the tofu with paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Next put a weight (like a tin of tomato) on the tofu for 20minutes in order to squeeze out excess water of the tofu
- Heat the sesame oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the chicken mince and carrot.
- Add shiitake mushroom and add tofu and break tofu with wooden spatula while stir frying.
- Add all sauce ingredients and stir fry until 80% of liquid evaporates.
- Add egg and allow to set a little bit then scramble it all together.
- Add the sugar peas and turn the heat off.
- Serve on the plate and garnish with green shallots.
Leave a Reply