Okinawa Taco Rice is the most iconic Okinawa dish. Tasty white rice is topped with delicious taco mince, lettuce, avocado, and tomato salsa! It’s basically like an open taco on rice! This makes a perfect dish to make in bulk for meal prep or a dinner party!
To enjoy the last few days of my holiday I decided to relax and read the Gourmet Traveller magazine. Always anything Japanese related recipes draw my attention and the magazine was featuring “Okinawa Taco Rice”!! I thought it would be a great recipe to try out and post! If you’re not sure where Okinawa is, it is an island at the south of Japan and it is a very popular beach resort destination. My friends and I went there on a vacation together once and it was so beautiful! The water is so clear and blue!
Taco Rice was created in 1984 to serve to U.S. military personnel stationed in Okinawa as a convenient fast lunch. The dish is now one of the most well-known Okinawan dishes outside of Okinawa.Taco Rice is basically a scattered tortilla which uses rice instead of a tortilla taco cup. It’s sort of like a hybrid between a taco and donburi (which is a Japanese dish made from rice and various toppings like meat and egg).
There are many different versions of this and you can make it as spicy as you like by adjusting how much chilli powder you add. My daughter and I can’t really handle very spicy food so we don’t like to add as much chilli powder. My daughter also added a fried egg on top of her taco rice, which she said tasted really good! I hope you enjoy this Okinawan dish!
- 3 cups of cooked rice
- 2 cups of shredded iceberg lettus
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 250 g ground beef beef mince
- 1/2 brown onion
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 purple onion
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt and pepper
For Home made Taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 tbs Mild Mexican Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Mix all seasoning ingredients and put it in an air tight container.
- Chop up the tomato and onion to make the salsa, combine with lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat and add olive oil and cook the onion.
- Add the beef mince to the frying pan to cook.
- Once the mince is cooked, add the ketchup and 1/2 cup of water and 1 tbs of Tacos seasoning mix to the frying pan and stir.
- Bring it to simmer and cook for a further 10-12 minutes to reduce the liquid and allow it to thicken.
- Turn the heat off and set it aside.
- Serve 1/2 of the rice on a plate or a bowl and place the shredded lettuce, avocado, Taco beef and top with salsa and shredded cheese.