Black sesame (kurogoma) ice cream is a popular dessert in Japanese restaurants. It has a sweet and nutty flavour that is really delicious and perfect to eat after a nice Japanese dinner. It is made from a vanilla ice cream base mixed with black sesame paste (neri goma) to give it a tasty flavour and dark grey/black colour. You can sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and enjoy it on a hot day in summer or just as a delicious snack!
This ice cream is really easy to make, however, it does require an ice cream maker. You could make it without an ice cream maker but you have to keep mixing it every few hours and that’s what I did after my Kitchen Aid ice-cream making bowl stack on the stand mixer!! I Also, the ice cream does take a while to make because it needs to freeze and set for a few hours so it should be made beforehand. You can just keep it in a container in the freezer or you can pour the ice cream mixture into popsicle moulds. These will make great treats on a hot afternoon during the summer. I always like to order kurogoma ice cream for dessert when I go out to a Japanese restaurant, or sometimes matcha ice cream, because it’s always so delicious. This recipe makes the ice cream taste just like the restaurant version and is much cheaper!
You can find black sesame paste (neri goma) in Japanese grocery stores or if you don’t have a Japanese grocery store near you, you can order it online from Fish & Soy and have it delivered so you can make this delicious ice cream! There are other types of Japanese inspired ice cream flavours, like matcha ice cream, so I will definitely be making those soon and sharing the recipes. I hope you enjoy this black sesame ice cream!
Finally, the Give Away! Fish & Soy are kindly giving away Black Sesame Paste (neri goma) to 3 lucky Chopstick Chronicles readers! Fish & Soy is an online Asian grocery store which has a great range of quality Asian ingredients that you can get delivered to you, which is great if you don’t have a Japanese/Asian grocery store near you!
- 500 ml Soy milk I used Bon soy milk
- 250 ml Double cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 tbs Black sesame paste I used Kawari brand
- Bring the soy milk and cream to a simmer over low heat in a sauce pan.
- Turn the heat off and set aside.
- Whisk 5 egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until the colour of the mixture becomes pale and fluffy.
- Add the black sesame paste to the sugar and yolk mixture and mix well.
- Gradually pour the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture and keep whisking until smooth.
- Strain the mixture into a clean sauce pan and place over low heat for 5 minutes, continuously stirring.
- Leave it in the fridge to chill.
- Pour the black sesame mixture into an ice cream maker (or you can place it in the freezer and mix it every 2-3 hours).
- Run the ice cream maker for about 20 minutes, and once the mixture has become thicker, pour it into a container and freeze it until set.