Fruit kanten jelly is a delicious and healthy sweet little treat. This see-through jelly is made from kanten, which is a gelatin made from algae which makes it much healthier than animal gelatin or the chemical filled jelly powder that you find in grocery stores. It also makes it suitable for vegetarians and vegans! These jelly balls are so quick and easy to make and you can fill them with whatever fruits you like. They also make a cute little snack to pack in your lunch box and is very refreshing to eat on hot days!
I chose to fill these kanten jellies with some of my favourite fruits: kiwi, golden kiwi, raspberries, blueberries, and mandarin. I bought fresh fruit for everything except the mandarin which I bought a canned version of because it’s conveniently pre-peeled. You can put whatever types of fruit you like though. I used a round ice mold to make them a perfect circular shape, which is what I used for the Rain Drop Cake, but you don’t really need this if you don’t care about the appearance of them. You can pour them into regular ice molds and make them a rectangular shape if you like. I hope you enjoy making this snack!
- 125 g water
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 g Cool agar or kanten powder
- 1/2 tbs Lemon juice
- Your choice of fruit I used 8 raspberries, half a kiwi, and 8 mandarin segments from a pre-peeled mandarin can
- Wash the rapsberries, cut the kiwi into small pieces and drain syrup or juice from the mandarin container and set aside.
- Place the agar powder and sugar in a small sauce pan and add water a little at a time to dissolve the agar powder and sugar.
- Put the saucepan over heat to bring to boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 1 and half minutes.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat and add lemon juice and stir.
- Place the prepared fruit into a mold evenly and pour the agar mixture over the fruit.
- Put the lid on and refrigerate to set for one hour.