Delicate and cute little Castella Pudding Cakes are the perfect hybrid of two Japanese sweets: castella sponge cake and custard pudding. The two sweets pair perfectly together along with the smooth caramel sauce to create a unique and delicious dessert.
What is Castella Pudding Cake?
Castella pudding is a Japanese hybrid sweet. It is Castella cake on top of Japanese custard pudding(purin) with caramel sauce at the bottom baked all together in a little cup. It seemed to become a popular sweet to bake at home in 2019. I always wanted to try and finally I can share the recipe.
Why you will love this Catella Pudding Cake
All ingredients are readily available anywhere in the world – it does not require any difficult to get oriental ingredients.
You can taste two delicious Japanese sweets in one! – airy fluffy Japanese castella cake and silky smooth Japanese custard pudding.
Eye-pleasing cute dessert and delicious both warm or chilled.
Caramel sauce– sugar and water. To get the best result, I recommend to use granulated sugar.
Custard pudding – eggs, milk, and sugar
Castella cake – egg, sugar, honey and flour. Usually castella cake(Kasutera) is made with bread flour, or bread flour and all purpose flour combined for spongy texture. However we only need a little amount of batter and flour. Only 3 tbsp(30g) is needed, so just use all purpose flour.
And also you need heat proof glass cups(150ml each)
How to Make Castella Pudding?
- Make caramel sauce and pour it into 4 cups and let them set
- Combine custard pudding ingredients
- Start to preheat the oven
- Make Castella cake batter
- Pour the custard pudding mixture in on top of caramel sauce
- Top with castella cake batter over the custard pudding mixture
- Bake in hot water bath in the preheated oven for 40 minutes
- Serve as warm dessert or chill for later
Tips & Tricks
- Strain the custard base using a sieve or strainer to get silky smooth texture of pudding
- Tap the heat proof glass cups with a spoon or fork after the cake is removed from the oven to avoid the cake sinking.
If you like the recipe please rate the recipe and leave comments below. Also don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This way you keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to Sign up for a weekly newsletter so you never miss out on new authentic delicious Japanese recipes! Sign up form is on the right-hand sidebar.
A: You can use ramekins or any oven proof container. It just looks cute and also you can see pudding and caramel sauce underneath with glass cups.
To change the measurements to US customary, click “US Customary” underneath the ingredients list. This converts from Metric units to the customary units used in the USA.
- 4 heat proof glass cups(150ml each)
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar *40g
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp hot boiling water
- 11/4 cups milk * I used 300ml full cream milk
- 2 eggs *large eggs
- 4 tbsp sugar *50g
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour *30g
Caramel sauce *1
- Put sugar and water in a small saucepan over med-high heat to bring it to boil.
- When the mixture bubbles and the colour has turned into an amber colour, turn the heat off.
- Add hot water gradually and swirl the mixture to make it an even consistency.
- Divide the caramel sauce into 4 heat proof glass cups and set aside.
Custard Pudding *3
- Warm milk up to around 140°F(60°C). *2
- Place egg and sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the warm milk into the egg mixture gradually and stir to combine them all together.
- Strain the egg mixture with a sieve and set aside.
Castella Cake Batter
- Start preheating the oven to 302°F(150°C).
- Place egg, sugar and honey into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk all together and place the bowl over the hot water.
- Continue to beat till the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Add sifted flour into the batter.
- Fold in the flour into the batter using a spatula.
Baking all together
- Pour the custard pudding mixture over the caramel sauce in the cups.
- Put the castella cake batter floating over the custard pudding mixture.
- Place the cups into a deep baking tray with kitchen cloth layered at the bottom.
- Pour enough hot water to reach the level of custard pudding mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 302°F(150°C) in the water bath for 40 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray out of the oven. Take the cups out of the water bath.
- Tap each cup with a spoon or fork to avoid shrinkage of Castella cake.
- Serve warm or chill for later.
Leave a Reply