Fruit Sandwich is one of the unique foods you only see in Japan. If you are looking for something different for Thanksgiving or Christmas, why not to make Japanese Fruit Sandwich filled with fresh fruit, whipped cream and mascarpone.
Only in Japan
I bet you have never seen a fruit sandwich before, unless you have been to Japan. Fruit Sandwich is popular in convenience stores and you will see them everywhere in Japan.
Recipe to make astonishingly delightful fruit sandwich
Bread – use Japanese Shokupan if possible. This sandwich requires resting in fridge for a couple of hours. Japanese shokupan will not get dry easily in the fridge.
Fruit – Use fruit which contain less water such as strawberries and banana. And also has interesting cut surface such as kiwi.
Whipped cream – Add mascarpone and hand whip to avoid over whipping. Whip to make soft peak.
Wipe excess water
We want beautiful clear cut sandwich not a watery, soggy sandwich.
Spread jam to bind the bread and the whipped cream
Tips to make photogenic Fruit sandwich
You need to think ahead about how you are going to cut the sandwich. The way the sandwich will be cut,dictates the way you layout the fruit on a slice of bread.
Draw on the cling wrap
Weird, right? But this is how Japanese people take everything seriously and precisely. If you have a photographic memory, that is brilliant, but once the fruit is covered with another layer of whipped cream and bread, I will not be able to remember how the strawberries were lined up. Can you?
chill to settle
Because we want a beautiful clear cut, the whipped cream, fruit and bread should be set before we cut.
use sharp knife
Use a sharp knife or sharpen before cutting, for a clear beautiful cut to showcase the fruit’s beautiful side.
Here are my instructions for Fruit Sandwich. So if you like it, please rate it and leave a comment or any questions below.
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook , Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #ChopstickChronicles so I can see your wonderful creations!
- 50 g whipping cream
- 50 g mascarpone
- 20 g sugar
- 4 tsp jam *1 any type
- 4 small strawberries
- 1/2 kiwi fruit
- 1 small banana
- 4 slices Shokupan Japanese bread *2
- Place whipping cream, mascarpone and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Whip them all together by hand till it makes a soft peak.
- Refrigerate whipped cream and mascarpone till it is needed
- Wash strawberries and cut the stem off and wipe off water.
- Peel and cut kiwi fruit.
- Peel and cut banana about 2cm (0.8inch) thick.
- Spread the jam on one side of 4 slices of bread.
- Place the bread on a cling wrap and spread the whipped cream about 1cm (0.4inch) thick.
- Layout the fruit according to how you want to cut the bread, and how the fruit will look when it is cut.
- Drop more whipped cream over the fruit and place another slice of bread to sandwich.
- Wrap with the cling wrap and draw the location of each fruit pieces are with a permanent marker over the cling wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours to settle.
- After refrigerated 2 hours, take them out and slice it with a sharp knife.