Christmas Temari sushi is perfect for Christmas party food. These cute little sushi balls put a fun little Japanese spin on your Christmas party food. They’re easy to make on the day without much prior preparation and are fun for the whole family to decorate, especially the kids!
Christmas in Japan
Many Japanese enjoy this festive holiday season. Surprisingly they eat KFC chicken for Christmas eve dinner and enjoy Christmas cake for dessert. They traditionally eat strawberry shortcake at Christmas eve.
A lot of people in Japan eat sushi for Christmas dinner. So I made Christmas temari sushi with a festive touch. Remember cute Halloween themed temari sushi? It is fun to make and perfect for Christmas appetizers or finger foods because they are cute bite-sized sushi balls.
How to make Rudolph sushi?
I created Rudolph from my aunt Keiko’s Inari sushi. The inari sushi colour is perfect for Rudolph. Also, I wanted to make it not just look cute but make sure it is delicious. Rodolph’s ears are half a mini pretzel. His nose is a raspberry. I draw eyes with mayonnaise and black sesame seeds.
How to make Santa sushi balls?
The shape of Temari sushi is just perfect for Santa’s big belly. I used smoked salmon for his clothes. Then wrapped with a nori seaweed strip for the belt. And I cut out lemon skin for the belt buckle. Then placed silver cachous for buttons.
Perfect Holiday finger foods
This Christmas party food starts with making perfect sushi rice. Rudolph and Santa are small bite-sized sushi. They are about 5cm (2inch) in diameter. So perfect for holiday appetizers and finger foods.
If you like the recipe please rate the recipe and leave comments below. Also don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This way you keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to Sign up for a weekly newsletter so you never miss out on new authentic delicious Japanese recipes! Sign up form is on the right-hand sidebar.
- To alter the serving size click on the serving number and move the slider left or right to adjust the quantity.
- As you move the slider the quantities of the ingredients will adjust accordingly in both imperial and metric measurements.
Christmas Sushi Balls (Temarizushi)
Sushi rice *1
- 200g/1cup Uncooked sushi rice
- 220ml/0.9cup of water
- 1 strip 5 cm (2 inch) Konbu kelp
- 30ml/2tbsp Rice vinegar *2
- 15g/1tbsp caster sugar
- 5g/1tsp salt
- 4 Inari age *3
- 2 raspberries *4
- 4 mini pretzels
- 8 drops mayonnaise
- 8 black sesame seeds
Santa belly topping
- 3 slices smoked salmon
- 3 strips nori seaweeds
- 3 lemon skin cutouts
- 9 silver cachous
- Cook the sushi rice as per your rice cooker instructions or see how to cook rice perfectly. *1
Rudolph sushi balls
- Place one inari age in the centre of a piece of cling wrap.
- Place about two tbsp scoops of rice into the inari age pauch, then seal it together with the cling wrap and softly squish and shape it into a ball.
- With a small knife, score the sides of the rice balls and insert the pretzel.
- Place a small piece of raspberry in the centre of the rice balls for the nose.
- Two tiny drop of mayonnaise and place 1 sesame black seeds for both eyes
Santa belly sushi balls
- Cut salmon slices into two and place in the centre of a piece of cling wrap.
- Place about two tbsp scoops of rice on to the smoked salmon, then seal it together with the cling wrap and softly squish and shape it into a ball.
- wrap it with a nori strp.
- Place the lemon cut out buckle over the nori strip.
- Put three silver cachous for buttons of Santa's cloths.
Leave a Reply