This version of instant miso soup which is known as “Miso-Maru (miso round)” in Japan or “Miso balls” in other countries. It is perfect for those who are health conscious and busy. By just pouring hot water to a miso ball in a mug or a bowl, you can have Umami packed hearty miso soup instantly!
Benefits of instant miso soup
- Easy and cheap to make your own instant miso soup
- Convenient and saves your time
- Healthy and great to drink while fasting
- Can make them in bulk and freeze
- Look Cute and does not take much space to carry
Health benefit of miso
Miso is an essential condiment in Japanese cooking. Basically it is soybeans fermented with Koji – just in case you have never heard of it. Miso contains all eight essential amino acids to sustain life and is also rich in vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, the Probiotics in Miso are beneficial for your gut health.
What’s in Instant miso soup
- Miso paste – White miso (shiro miso), Red miso (aka miso), there are many different types of miso. You can use any type except sweet eating miso. Homemade miso is better because you know what’s in your miso paste.
- Dashi stock – If you use homemade miso to make theses miso balls, you need to add instant dashi powder or liquid dashi stock. If you use store bought miso, you need to check the ingredients. Some of the miso already contains dashi in it.
- Ingredients – I used freeze-dried green onions, tofu, wakame seaweed, corn kernels, carrots etc as you can see in the photo below. You can also add sesame seeds as well.
Useful utensils to make miso soup
The one utensil that I absolutely love is “Miso Muddler“. You can measure miso easily by just sticking it into the miso paste and turning it around. The larger end measures two tablespoons and the smaller end measures one tablespoon. Generally, miso soup recipe calls for one tablespoon of miso paste for one cup of dashi stock.
How to make instant miso balls
It is quite simple and easy. In short, combine miso paste and dashi powder and shape it into balls. You can mix dry ingredients into the miso, or as I did, roll miso balls on freezed dried ingredients.
How to store and how long does it last?
Great news! You can freeze them and it will not become solid hard. So you can take it out of the freezer and pour over hot water. Instantly you will have a hearty delicious miso soup. When you have time make them in bulk. They will keep for a month in the freezer and about a week in the refrigerator.
Perfect for any meal time
It is perfect for traditional Japanese breakfast, which typically consists of “Ichi-jyu, San-sai” which means one soup and three dishes. This instant miso soup is great for busy people. You can easily have one instant miso soup, three side dishes such as tamagoyaki, shiojake and tsukemono. Also you can take this for your lunch.
Instant Miso soup for fasting
Miso soup is a great soup to drink while you fast and some people purchase instant miso soup sachets. Miso soup is low in calories and has health benefits as mentioned above. Though, homemade instant miso soup is way better than store-bought. Many contain nasty chemicals such as MSG, so knowing what is in your miso is a bonus. If you make miso from scratch too, you know the soybeans are not genetically modified.
Other miso soup recipes to check
If you like the recipe please rate the recipe and leave comments below. Also don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This way you keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to Sign up for a weekly newsletter so you never miss out on new authentic delicious Japanese recipes! Sign up form is on the right-hand sidebar.
The site and our mobile application may contain links to affiliate websites. We receive a small affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This is affiliate advertising designed to provide a means for us to earn a small advertising fee by linking to Amazon. com and affiliated websites.
Instant Miso Soup Balls
- 10 tbsp miso paste *Any type of miso *1
- 1 tbsp dashi powder *2
- 10 tsp freeze dried ingredients for miso soup *3 of your choice
Dry ingredients coating outside
- Scoop 10 tbsp of miso paste on to a plate.
- Add dashi powder and combine them well.
- Divide and shape miso into 10 small balls with your hands.
- Place dry ingredients onto a shallow tray or a container.
- Roll each miso ball into the ingredients to coat the miso balls.
- Wrap them individually or keep them all in an airtight container.
- Place one miso ball into a small bowl, a cup or a mug and pour in 1 cup of hot water.
- Stir with a swizzle till all miso is dissolve.
Ingredients combined into miso paste
- Scoop 10 tbsp of miso paste into a mixing bowl.
- Add dashi powder and ingredients.
- Combing them all together well.
- Divide it on to 10 small cling wrap sheets.
- Wrap and shape it into balls and tie up with twist ties.