I love all Christmas sweets, decorations and and of course the festive atmosphere that Christmas brings, just like many Japanese do even though they are not Christians. I’ve found really cute edible pinecones to make at home, and possibly I can recreate and call it Japanese edible pine cones using Japanese ingredients.
Purple sweet potato
Purple sweet potato will make the core of the edible pinecones. This sweet potato is ideal to use because it has purple skin with beige flesh inside. First of all, cook the purple sweet potato and mash it. Then add cocoa to resemble pine cones dark brown colour.
Chocolate coated corn flakes. You can buy them in packets and it is popular (and my favourite) children’s snack, not for breakfast. Choco Flakes make the scales of the pine cones. You can buy them from Japanese grocery stores. Or substitute with any available cone flakes.
Tips to assemble
make the sweet potato mash soft
So that it is easy to make insert each choco flake piece. Shape the sweet potato mash into cone shapes to make them look realistic. You need to adjust softness depending on how dry or wet the cooked sweet potatoes are, by adding butter and milk.
Gently and carefully insert the choco flakes
If you make the sweet potato mash soft enough, it should be easy to insert the fragile choco flakes into the sweet potato mash cone. The pros of using chocolate coated corn flakes is not just to look similar but also because chocolate makes the corn flakes stronger.
Use different sized choco flakes
In order to make them like true pine cones, collect and prepare different sized choco flakes. You need to break the lump of choco flakes carefully with your hands beforehand. Use bigger flakes for the bottom part of the cone and use smaller towards the top.
Another tip: Bottom up
Wrap the sweet potato mash with cling wrap. Hence it is easier to shape it into a cone. Finally, start inserting the corn flake pieces from the bottom up, therefore you don’t knock out the top flakes by working down.
Ideas to use Christmas Sweets
Make this cute edible pine cones part of your Christmas table decoration, or wrap it up and use as an edible holiday gift. If you need gift wrapping ideas read here.
Here are my instructions for Edible Pine Cones. Hope you enjoy making and eating edible pine cones 😀 Check out other Christmas sweets recipes such as Matcha checkerboard cookies, Pinwheel Cookies, and Matcha Madeleines.
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook , Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #ChopstickChronicles so I can see your wonderful creations!
- 350 g purple sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 15 g unsulted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 packet Chocolate coated corn flakes *1
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot and enough water just cover the potatoes.
- Bring it to boil on high heat then turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 10-15 min till the potato is soft and cooked.
- Drain the cooking water and add butter while the sweetpotato is still hot.
- Add sugar, and cocoa powder and mash them all together with a potato masher.
- Take about 2 tbs of mashed sweet potato on to a cling wrap.
- Wrap the sweet potatoes and shape it like a cone.
- Tap it onto the kitchen bench to flatten the bottom gently 2-3 times.
- Unwrap the cling wrap and start inserting bigger pieces of choco flakes from the bottom side.
- Continue inserting choco flakes bigger pieces from the bottom to smaller pieces to the top.
- Repeat same for the remaining ingredients. It will make about 10 pine cones. *2