There are many different types of Japanese fried meats, the most famous probably being chicken or pork katsu, which are all super delicious and popular. With Japanese panko (bread) crumbs (that you can buy in most grocery stores nowadays), you can easily make this amazing dish at home for yourself. Hirekatsu, is one type of delicious Japanese fried dishes that uses pork fillets rather than the loin, which is usually used in Tonkatsu. Hirekatsu is more tender than Tonkatsu, and with the secret ingredient of Japanese mayonnaise, you can make it even juicier and crispier! It’s a great Japanese dish to make one night for dinner or lunch!
I used to live near Nagoya in Japan, which is famous for Miso Katsudon (fried meat on top of rice with a miso sauce topping), and I whenever I went to Nagoya I always had to have Miso Katsudon because I love it so much. I tried to copycat the sauce they always served on top of the katsudon, which has a sweet miso flavour, and it actually worked out really well and tasted really similar. Miso sauce tastes soooo good on top of katsu, I love it! I will share a recipe for this sauce soon so stay tuned!
Japanese panko crumbs are the best to use when making Japanese fried dishes but if you can’t find it, you can used whatever bread crumbs you can find at your local store or you can just food process some frozen white bread and use that. This recipe also uses Kewpie mayonnaise during the coating process. Usually the pork fillets are coated in flour then egg and then the bread crumbs, but instead you can mix the flour and egg and also the mayonnaise together then coat the fillets in that before the bread crumbs. This cuts down the time and the mayonnaise makes it more crispier on the outside and keeps the meat juicy on the inside. And don’t worry if you don’t like mayonnaise because you can’t taste it at all. The crispy Hirekatsu is super delicious I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 300 g pork fillet
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 50 ml water
- 1 tbsp Kewpie Japanese Mayonnaise
- 2 cups Japanese Panko crumbs or any bread crumbs
- Deep-frying oil
- Finely shredded cabbage to serve
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle
- Cut the pork fillet it even-sized thick slices.
- Mix the egg, flour, water, and mayonnaise in a small bowl to make a batter.
- Coat each pork fillet slice into the batter then place into the Panko crumbs.
- Coat all the fillets with the Panko crumbs.
- Heat frying oil in a deep pan until it reaches around 180 c.
- Fry each pork fillet slice until it's crispy and golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the pork fillets with cabbage or vegetables of your choosing!