If you love Japanese food then you will love Miso Katsudon! It’s a delicious dish made from the yummiest Japanese foods like katsu and rice that is then topped with miso! The slightly sweet miso sauce goes perfectly with katsu and makes it even more delicious than it already is! This is a common menu item at most Japanese take-away shops that you can easily make at home for yourself!
The city of Nagoya in Japan is famous for Miso Katsudon. I am craving it so I made it myself. I absolutely love anything when it’s coated in miso sauce, especially katsu! It’s just so delicious and tastes good on anything, like beef, fish (particularly salmon), prawns, chicken, anything! I don’t like to eat meat without some sort of extra flavour so I always make miso sauce to coat the meat. To make the ‘Katsu’ for this dish, you can either use pork fillets and follow my recipe for Hirekatsu or you can use pork cutlets and follow the recipe for Tonkatsu. You can also use chicken if you prefer and either fry or bake the meat. Baking is healthier but frying tastes much yummier! Either way though it is delicious and I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 100 ml water
- 2 tbs miso
- 1.5 tbs mirin
- ½ tbs sake
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp dashi powder
- Salad leaves or shredded cabbage to serve
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle
- Cook the rice according to your rice cooker instructions or if you don't have one, follow the recipe url:3]here[/url]
- Cook the Hirekatsu by following the instructions here.
- Slice the cooked Hirekatsu into 2cm strips and set aside.
- Place all the miso sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer the sauce for about 8-10 min to reduce the sauce and make the consistency thicker.
- Place some of the rice in a bowl, then top with the salad leaves/cabbage and the sliced fried pork.
- Pour the miso sauce over the top and sprinkle with sesame seeds then serve!