As a Japanese living abroad with a scorching hot summer ahead of us, I already miss those cosy nights eating Instant Pot Beef Stew in my little urban cottage. Making Instant Pot Beef Stew is not only easy and convenient, but also as delicious as making it from scratch because we use roux.
Classic comfort food
I can hear you saying “beef stew is not a Japanese dish”. I know, but we cook and eat beef stew. We cook Beef Stew in Japanese way using commercially made roux. Beef stew is one of the classic comfort foods in Japan too. No wonder why beef stew is a popular Winter weekday dinner, because it is so easy to make with the roux.
Beef Stew Roux
Have you tried my Japanese curry rice? Japanese are well known as busy workaholic people and so certainly have not much time to cook. However, they are quite gourmet foodies in general. They want to save time but will not compromise taste. So curry and stew roux are created for those busy Japanese people.
Where to purchase those Beef stew roux
The above photo is the beef stew roux I bought from a local Japanese grocery store. There are a few different brands. I usually use either House, S&B or Grico brand. Your local Japanese grocery stores will have those roux definitely, but those who don’t have any Japanese grocery stores nearby, you can get them online.
Super convenient and easy Beef stew roux
Those roux are super convenient. These usually comes in 2 separately sealed package in a standard sized box. One sealed package can be broken into 4 cubes and it will serve 3-4. If you have a bigger family, use all in the box.
Pros of using Instant Pot making Beef Stew
1. You can make Beef stew in one pot
Firstly, I use saute function and brown the beef and then add vegetables. Add liquid and then use Stew function to pressure cook.
2. Save time
It usually takes time to stew any meat. But using stew function to pressure cook the meat can save you a lot of cooking time and still have melting in your mouth tender beef.
3. Make any cheap cut meat so soft
I used Australian Angus beef already diced beef for stewing. It was super tender and literally melted in my mouth.
Make Over of store bought Beef Stew roux
Same as making Japanese curry rice, I usually add a few ingredients bringing the store bought roux to the next level. For Beef stew, I add red wine and bay leaves. Then garnish with thyme at the end. Bay tree and thyme are the herbs I keep in my yard.
How to store leftover Instant Pot Beef Stew
You may not but if you have any leftover, you can freeze them. Separate potato because potato is not good for storing in a freezer. Mash the potato and keep them in a separate container. It will keep about one month. Reheat in Microwave.
The site and our mobile application may contain links to affiliate websites. We receive a small affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This is affiliate advertising designed to provide a means for us to earn a small advertising fee by linking to Amazon. com and affiliated websites.
Here are my instructions for Instant Pot Beef Stew. So if you like it, please rate it and leave a comment or any questions below. And don’t forget to check out my other winter comfort recipes such as Japanese Beef Curry, Chicken Katsu Curry, and Hayashi Rice.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g Beef diced
- 2 potatoes diced large or 300g
- 1 large onion wedged or 200g
- 1 carrot cut randomly or 120g
- 5 white cup mushroom quartered or 100g
- 1 cup red wine(any kind) or 250ml
- 2 3/4 cups water or 700ml
- 2 bay leaves
- thyme to garnish
- fresh cream *1
- 1 box Beef stew roux *2
- Set the instant pot to saute function.
- Add olive oil into the pot. Add beef and cook and partially brown.
- Add diced potato, onion, carrot and mushrooms. Saute about 10 minutes.
- Pour red wine and water to the pot. Close the lid and change the setting to Stew for 20 minutes.
- Manually let the steam go *3 and open the lid.
- Break the roux into small cubes and add to the pot.
- Let the roux cubes dissolve by stirring the stew with a wooden spatula.
- Put the lid back on and set the instant pot to stew for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes cycle completed, let the pressure off manually.
- Serve in the shallow bowl, pour a little bit of fresh cream*4 and garnish with thyme. *5