Yaki onigiri is a tasty grilled version of classic onigiri (rice balls). I have previously made a Miso Butter Sauce Yaki Onigiri, but this time I have decided to make a mentaiko mayo version!
Mentaiko is marinated pollock or cod roe, which I mixed with mayonnaise to make a delicious seafood coating for the onigiri! These mentaiko mayo yaki onigiri are great for lunch on-the-go and to pack for a picnic!
The last time I made yaki onigiri I used just a regular frying pan to grill them. This time I got to use my new bbq so it was really fun! I even got a new cooking blow torch to add extra grilled flavour to the yaki onigiri, which made it taste even and look even better. While cooking the yaki onigiri on the bbq, I just used the blow torch to add a bit of grilled touches to the mentaiko paste on top of the onigiri and also on the sides of the onigiri itself. It’s also good to coat some butter on to the rice while grilling on the bbq to give it some extra flavour. The blow torch then gives the butter on the rice a delicious toasty flavour. If you don’t have a blow torch you can just pop the onigiri into the oven on the “grill” setting after frying them a bit in a frying pan or bbq.
The mentaiko mayo is very easy to make, all you have to do is mix together the mayonnaise and the mentaiko. If you don’t have an Asian/Japanese grocery store near you and you’re unable to purchase fresh/frozen mentaiko then you can buy the tube version from IKEA! You can add a bit of chilli powder to the tube mentaiko to give it a bit of the spice flavour that real mentaiko has. Then all you have to do is cook some rice, shape it into a triangle, grill it, and spread the mentaiko mayo on top! These are such a delicious addition to lunch or dinner and are also great for gatherings with friends and family. I hope you enjoy!
Mentaiko Mayo Yaki Onigiri
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 50 g mentaiko
- 30 g mayonnaise
- 10 g butter melted
- Shiso seaweed, and sesame seeds for garnish
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on your rice cooker or following these steps.
- Take the skin off the mentaiko and put the cod roe into a small bowl.
- Add mayonnaise to the bowl and mix together with the cod roe (mentaiko) then set aside.
- Place some cling wrap into a small rice bowl and put a scoop of the rice onto the cling wrap and then squeeze it into a triangular shape.
- Heat up your bbq or frying pan and brush both sides of all the onigiri with the melted butter.
- Place the onigiri onto the bbq and grill each side.
- Place some of the mentaiko mayo on top of one side of the onigiri and do the same for the remaining onigiri.
- (Optional) Use a blow torch to grill the sides of the onigiri and the mentaiko mayo coating.
- Top with thinly cut shiso, seaweed, and sesame seeds and serve!