Japanese Omurice, Omelette Rice, is a tasty dish made from ketchup flavoured chicken fried rice wrapped in an egg omelette. It’s one of the most popular dishes for Japanese children because it has a delicious taste and uses basic ingredients!
Japanese Omurice is a fairly easy dish to make, however, wrapping the egg over the rice can be a little tricky. The easiest way to do it is to put the chicken rice into the centre of the egg omelette then push it all together to one side of the pan and fold the sides of the egg over the rice then flip it onto a plate.
That may be a bit hard to understand so watch the video tutorial below on how to do this! To make a delicious sauce that goes perfectly with the omrice, melt 15 g of butter into a small frying pan over medium heat then add 3 tbs of ketchup and 1 tbs of worcestershire sauce and mix it all together. Once it’s all mixed and cooked, just pour it over the rice!
Japanese omurice is my daughter’s favourite Japanese meal, she always asks me to make it! She was so happy I made it this week for the blog recipe. She, along with mostly all Japanese children, like to draw little faces on top of the omurice with the ketchup.
My daughter usually writes her name on it with the ketchup so no one tries to eat her omurice, which she always makes sure is the biggest one. I hope you all love Japanese omurice as much as she does and enjoy this recipe!
If you liked my recipe for Japanese Omurice – Omelette Rice, please rate it and leave a comment below. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook , Twitter and Instagramto keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #ChopstickChronicles so I can see your wonderful creations!
- 300 g cooked rice
- 150 g chicken breast
- half a large onion
- half a medium carrot
- half a small capsicum
- 15 g butter
- 2 tbs ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- Cook the rice according to the instructions according to your rice cooker or follow the link to see how to make it without a rice cooker.
- Chop the chicken, onion, carrot, and capsicum into small cubes.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until the meat has all turned white.
- Add the vegetables and cooke until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the ketchup and mix it all together.
- Add the rice and mix in until the rice is all coated with the ketchup.
- Flavour with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl crack and mix 2 eggs.
- Heat the large frying pan with some olive oil over high heat and pour in the egg, allowing it to spread all over the bottom frying pan and slightly scramble the middle without breaking the omelette.
- Turn off the heat, and pour half the chicken rice into the centre of the omelette.
- Push the omelette and rice to one side of the pan and fold in the sides of the omelette to wrap the rice.
- Hold a plate beside the omelette and tip the pan a bit to slide the omelette on to the plate so that it flips on to the plate so the egg is on top covering the rice.
- Repeat these steps again for the next 2 eggs and remaining chicken rice then serve!