Recently the Pokemon Go craze created a sensation here in Australia and nearly everyone, even adults, are walking around with their mobile phones everywhere playing the game. So I have decided to create Pokemon ball sushi.
I saw my good friend, who is now living in England (Sushi Art Surrey ) posted her Pokemon sushi creation and I was so inspired to make it myself. Her creation looked complicated and required some skills and experience, which I don’t have but I gave it a go anyway. She has lessons and catering so if you are living in England you can visit her site for more information. The pokemon ball is probably the most simple and easy Pokemon sushi to make plus it is a fun thing to cook with your children or for a party!
I made this Pokemon ball sushi with a sushi making mould that I bought from Daiso for AU$2.80. First you fill the bottom half with red coloured sushi rice and make a trench in the middle for a seaweed (nori) wrapped cheese stick. You wrap the cheese sticks with the nori sheet and place it in the trench. Place 1cm width nori sheets on both sides of the nori wrapped cheese. Place Kanpyo strips on the nori and cover with more 1cm nori sheets so that the Kanpyo strips are sandwiched in between two nori strips.
Top with white sushi rice and shape it like half a sphere. Put the mould lid on and place it firmly. Take and roll the sushi out of the mould onto a nori sheet on a bamboo sushi rolling mat. Roll the nori sheet around the sushi roll. Wet one edge of the nori sheet with water so that it works like glue. Roll it completely and place the nori overwrapped side down and leave it for a few minutes to set. And then it’s done!
A tip for cutting any sushi roll is to wet the knife with damp cloths for every cut and also wipe the knife clean every time. This type of sushi is called “Kazari Makizushi” and you can use your imagination and create flower shaped, panda shaped,or any other ideas you can think of. This will be great appetiser for any party, especially a kids’ party. They can catch Pokemon on their phone and then eat Pokemon ball sushi!
Pokemon Ball Sushi
- 2 cups of white short grain rice
- 1/2 cup of sushi vinegar
- 4 1/2 seaweed nori sheets
- 6 cheese sticks
- 6 cooked Kanpyo stirps
- Prepare the sushi rice by following the recipe link.
- Cook 1 cup of the rice in regular water.
- Cook 1/4 cup of azuki beans in 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Drain the beans and use 1 cup of the azuki bean water to cook the second cup of rice.
- Cut a seaweed sheet into three pieces.
- Roll and wrap the two cheese sticks together as the step by step photo indicates and set aside.
- Place 1/3 of red coloured rice on the bottom half of the sushi mould and creat a trench in the middle.
- Place a nori wrapped cheese stick in the trench.
- Cut the 1/2 nori sheets into 1 cm strips.
- Place the 1 cm nori strips on both sides of the cheese.
- Top the 1 cm nori sheets with Kanpyo sheets.
- Place another 1 cm nori strip over the Kanpyo strips.
- Fill the top half with white rice, shaping it like a semi sphere.
- Place the mould lid on and press it down firmly.
- Take the sushi roll out of the mould and roll onto a nori sheet on a bamboo sushi rolling mat.
- Wrapped the nori sheet around the sushi by rolling the bamboo mat.
- Wet the edge of the nori sheet with water so that it will seal the sushi.
- Place the nori overlapped side down for a few minutes.
- Slice the sushi roll into 8 pieces and serve with shiso leaves (optional).