It is perfect Curry Udon weather here in Brisbane. I would love to share this delicious recipe! Curry Udon is yummy udon noodles and delicious Japanese curry combined together. You can enjoy two delicious Japanese foods in one!
To be honest, I did not taste curry udon until I moved out of my parent’s house to live in a dormitory while studying to become a nurse. I studied in a city called Ise, which has a speciality udon called Ise Udon. Ise Udon is thicker than usual udon noodles with a concentrated soy sauce base soup. Nurses in Japan are so busy and often we order take away lunch when we start a shift and get the food delivered to the ward around noon. One of the dishes we often ordered was Ise curry udon. Eating Ise curry udon was my first experience to eat curry udon and it was delicious. No wonder we repeatedly ordered that delicious dish.
This recipe is very easy to make and it can be cooked and ready to eat under 15 minutes if you have access to a Japanese grocery store. I used ready made frozen udon noodles, udon soup packets, and Japanese curry roux. I added some sliced steak, which I sliced very thinly, and some sliced onion and Shimeji mushrooms, which you can get from all major supermarkets in Australia nowadays.
Of course this can be made from scratch, but seriously not many Japanese would make this from scratch when you can get udon noodle, soup, and curry roux ready made! Sometimes we need to be more flexible and a little bit lazy at home. Hope you can get those ingredients to enjoy real Japanese comfort food!
If you liked my recipe for Curry Udon, please rate it and leave a comment below. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram to keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #ChopstickChronicles so I see your wonderful creations!
- 100 g thinly sliced beef
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cups of water
- 1 packet of Udon soup
- 2-3 blocks of curry roux
- 1 green shallot chopped
- Slice the beef very thinly and slice the onions.
- Heat 1/2 tbs oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the beef and cook until brown, then add the onion to cook.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Open and empty the udon soup packet to the saucepan.
- Break the curry roux and add 2 or 3 blocks of curry roux. I added three as I like a thicker and strong curry flavour.
- When all the roux has dissolved and the soup has thickened, turn the heat off.
- In a separate pot, bring 2 litres of water to boil and add the udon noodle and cook it for a few minutes.
- Turn the heat off and drain the water.
- Serve half of the udon noodle in a bowl and pour half of the curry soup.
- Garnish with chopped green shallots.