Friday fried rice #5 is Kimchi Fried Rice!. I wanted to share this kimchi fried rice since I started this fried rice series! Even though Kimchi is Korean food, they are readily available from any super markets in Japan as Japanese people love kimchi. I often buy them too from Japanese or Asian grocery stores in Brisbane. Kimchi fried rice is super easy and quick to make if you have kimchi and left over rice in the fridge.
Kimchi is well known Korean fermented cabbage with a lot of chilli. Kimchi has a lot of health benefits loaded with vitamin A, B, and C, it also has good bacteria, called”lactobacilli”, which helps with digestion and which can also be found in many fermented foods, such as yoghurt. Also, kimchi is so delicious and a great companion dish to plain rice. I try not to stock up kimchi in my fridge because I tend to eat too much rice with kimchi. Kimchi is that delicious! Kimchi can be consumed as a side dish or used as toppings for pizza, savoury pan cakes, soups, stir fry, and fried rice.
I like to use egg and pork to make Kimchi fried rice because bland pork flavour goes well with rich kimchi flavour and the egg makes the chilli’s hot spiciness slightly more mild. So I use a lot of eggs to make kimchi fried rice but if you like spicy food, you may want to use less eggs. One tip to make sure the kimchi fried rice does not become soggy is to cook the rice a little firmer than usual, because the rice absorbs the liquid of kimchi. If you have already soft and fluffy rice, it will absorb the kimchi liquid and the fried rice becomes soggy. I also used chives to add some colour. Hope you enjoy Kimchi Fried Rice! Have a lovey weekend.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 150 g kimchi
- 2 eggs
- 100 g thinly sliced pork
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic chives
- green shallots to garnish
- 1 tbs sesame seed oil
- 1/2 tbs Japanese mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the kimchi into smaller sizes and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tbs sesame seed oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- Cook 2 eggs and add the rice and 1/2 tbs mayonnaise into the frying pan and stir until the rice grains are well separated.
- Turn the heat off and transfer the cooked rice and eggs to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, heat the remaining sesame seed oil and cook the pork meat.
- Add the kimchi and garlic chives and stir fry together with the pork meat.
- Add the rice and eggs back to the frying pan and stir well until all the ingredients are tossed together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve in a bowl and garnish with green shallots.