These delicious grilled prawns coated in a Japanese teriyaki sauce are tasty and healthy dish perfect for any occasion! The sweet soy sauce flavour goes perfectly with the prawns and gives them a nice Asian flavour and gets rid of that fishy taste. This is a great dish to cook for a BBQ on Australia day, or for any other occasion and even just for a regular dinner at home!
Teriyaki sauce is one of the most well-known and popular Japanese food creations and prawns (or shrimp) are always associated with Australians since that famous saying “throw another shrimp on the barbie” was spoken in an ad. This ad was so long ago (before I even moved to Australia!) but people still remember it for some reason. When I first heard it, I didn’t realise “barbie” meant barbeque; once you live in Australia for a while though, you’ll realise Australians shorten every word. So this dish is a sort of hybrid of two iconic foods from the two countries I call home, so it’s really perfect as a celebration dish for me on Australia day. These prawns will also go perfectly with the Sushi Cake I am making for the day.
The sauce used for these prawns is great because it’s an authentic Japanese recipe that I learnt from my mom and grandma, not the bottled teriyaki sauce that you can buy from shops, which has loads of preservatives and sugar! It’s an easy and simple teriyaki sauce recipe for really delicious Japanese teriyaki grilled prawns! These prawns tasted great along with a Kirin Fuji Apple Cider and they’ll taste great with beer too, so it’s perfect for an Australia day gathering! You can also serve them with some rice and veggies to make a healthy Japanese dinner! No matter what you serve it with or what occasion you make it for, it’ll be great and I hope you enjoy making it!
Teriyaki Grilled Prawns
- 500 g Prawn/Shrimp
- 1/3 cup of Basic Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- Shallots and lime for garnish
- Wash and prepare the prawns/shrimp.
- Put the teriyaki sauce, garlic, and ginger in a ziplock bag.
- Add the prawns/shrimp and coat the sauce well, zip it and leave it in the fridge for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet over high heat then once heated, add the marinated prawns and grill until browned.
- Remove the prawns from the frying pan, and add the sauce from the ziplock bag of marinade.
- Cook for a few minutes until the sauce is reduced a bit then turn off heat.
- Serve the prawns over some rice and pour the teriyaki sauce on top.