Protein-packed, healthy, and quick! This is a perfect dish to make when you’re busy or in a rush but still want to stay on track and be healthy rather than order take-out. It only took me about 15 minutes to make this plus the time it takes to cook the rice. The cooking time for the rice can easily be cut down if you pre-cook the rice on the weekend, freeze it and just re-heat it; this is something I often do to save time when I’m working during the week.
This was just a quick dish I cooked up to use the leftover tofu I had the other day after making tofu ice-cream. After using the tofu to make a sweet dish, I thought I would use the leftovers to make it in to something savoury as well, which is why I made this Japanese Tofu Steak. I also wanted to make a healthy dish since I’ve been a little bad with my diet lately.
I served the Tofu Steak with bok choy, brown rice, and a sweet soy sauce dressing to make it healthy and nutritious. The tofu provides your body with a good dose of protein while the bok choy and brown rice will give you a healthy serving of fibre and good carbohydrates.
This post’s photos are updated on 26th September 2016. I did not have brown rice so I served with white rice.
Protein-Packed Japanese Tofu Steak
- 150 g firm tofu
- Handful of bok choy or any of your favourite veggies
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin add more mirin, or any other sweetner, if you want a sweeter sauce
- Wrap the tofu in a paper towel and place it on a plate with another plate on top of the tofu to drain the excess water. Leave for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the bok choy and cook it in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the bok choy and serve it on a plate with the brown rice.
- Heat some oil in a pan on high heat and cook the tofu until browned on both sides.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu in the pan until the sauce has reduced/evaporated a little.
- Serve the tofu on top of the rice and bok choy and drizzle the extra sauce on top.