Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Soft and fluffy sweet potato granola cake filled with mini sweet potato bites and crunchy granola! This delicious cake puts a simple little Japanese twist on a classic dessert and makes the perfect afternoon/morning tea treat!
I am a HUGE fan of granola, I love it so much that I not only eat for breakfast and as a snack, but also sometimes for dinner. So when I was scrolling through a Japanese recipe page and found this granola CAKE, I got super excited and had to make it straight away! I quickly wrote down the recipe for the さつまいもとグラノーラのスクエアケーキ from Ayasan’s blog and started baking!
It was very easy to make and it tasted so yummy. The fluffiness of the cake with the soft little bites of sweet potato and the occasional crunch from a piece of granola made the whole thing so delicious and made it super difficult for me to stop at just one piece. This cake makes such a great afternoon or morning snack, especially with a warm cup of tea!
I also love baking, it’s been a hobby of mine for many years so I always love when I’m doing baking recipes (especially when it includes granola!). It’s a great way to have fun and relax on the weekend after a long week at work. Plus you get to eat tasty treats warm and fresh straight from the oven!
It’s currently autumn in Japan so it’s sweet potato season over there. One of my favourite snacks in Japan is just plain roasted sweet potatoes. You can buy them from little carts that have roasted the sweet potatoes over hot rocks and they are the yummiest things ever! They are so warm and soft and taste seriously delicious…just writing this and thinking about them is making me drool. If you ever go to Japan at this time of year, you have to try one!
- 260 g purple sweet potato
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 200 g plain flour
- 40 g self-raisng flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 80 g sugar
- 40 g sesame oil
- 200 ml milk
- 80 g granola
- A sprinkle of black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree c (356 F) and cover an 18cm square tin with baking paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients (minus sugar) together in a bowl and put it aside.
- Wash the sweet potato and chop it into 1cm cubes.
- Soak the cubes in water in a bowl for about 10 minutes. Pat them dry with a paper towel and place them in a microwavable container.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar over the sweet potato and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the butter into the sweet potato container to coat the sweet potato with butter, then set aside.
- Put the eggs and 80 g sugar in a large bowl and whisk them together. Then add the oil and milk and whisk well.
- Add the sifted dry ingredents, 2/3 of the sweet potato and 2/3 of the granola and fold them into the wet mixture but do not mix too much.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared square tin and top with the remaining sweetpotato and granola and sprinkle the black sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Serve fresh from the oven or allow to cool.