It is hard not to crave for a bowl of Tempura Udon with crispy shrimp tempura and simple yet umami filled soup. Let’s cook Tempura Udon authentically and eat it as the Japanese do!
What is Tempura Udon?
Tempura Udon is a delicious Udon noodle soup with Tempura. Udon is a Japanese noodle made from wheat. It is a thick and chewy noodle. The udon noodle is served with an umami-rich simple soup. It is then topped with tempura shrimp or Kakiage tempura. I made this one with tempura shrimp.
- Udon Noodles – You can make these from scratch and it is quite fun to make. Click the link to read how to make these noodles from scratch. Or you could purchase Udon noodles in a frozen, Dry, or Pre Cooked package.
- Udon Soup – You can also make this from scratch. It is quite simple and easy to make from just three ingredients; Dashi soup stock, Soy sauce and mirin. If you need any substitution ingredients because sometimes some may be difficult to find, read my “Japanese food substitution” post. Alternatively, you can use an instant Udon Soup stock packet.
- Tempura Shrimp – You can make crispy and delicious homemade Tempura from scratch too. Follow my recipe with a secret ingredient to have Tempura crispy every time! Also you could substitute shrimp tempura with Kakiage tempura.
- Other Toppings – In the main photo I used Naruto fish cake and scallions. If you can not access naruto, you can omit this ingredient. Other topping suggestions are chopped scallions, Mitsuba, and Kamaboko fish cakes.
- Shichimi Togarashi – Shichimi Togarashi is chilli powder with seven spices. I highly recommend eating any Udon noodle soup with Shichimi Togarashi. Without Shichimi Togarashi, any Udon noodle soup simply tastes like something is missing.
Tips to Make Tempura Udon Simply Delicious.
- Prepare the Udon noodles and the Udon soup separately.
- Top with the tempura shrimp last because this will keep the Tempura crispy.
- Udon noodle can be substituted with Soba noodle.
Other Udon Noodle Recipes to Check
Udon is another popular Japanese noodle dish like Ramen. They have become popular around the world because they are so tasty. Furthermore, there are many different variations, so explore more Udon noodle recipes in Chopstick Chronicles.
If you’ve never had udon before then I hope you try this recipe and discover how delicious it is! It’s such a popular dish and definitely one of the yummiest types of noodle dishes in Japan. Enjoy! And if you like it, then please leave a comment below and rate the recipe.
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This way you keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to Sign up for a weekly newsletter so you never miss out on new authentic delicious Japanese recipes! Sign up form is on the right-hand sidebar.
- 1 cups Dashi *1
- 1 tbsp soy sauce *2
- 1 tbsp mirin *3
Udon & Toppings
- 1 packets Pre made Udon Noodle *4
- 2 Tempura Shrimp *5
- 2 slices Naruto fish cake *6
- 1 tbsp Chopped shallots to garnish
- Shichimi togarashi optional garnish
- Heat Dashi in a saucepan over medium heat and add soy sauce and mirin.
- Bring to boil and turn the heat off and set the soup aside.
- Boil enough water (not listed in the ingredients list) in a large pot and add the Udon noodles. Cook according to packet's instructions becasue this varies depending on whether you use dry or frozen. *7
- Drain the cooked udon noodles and serve into the two bowls.
- Pour the Udon soup over the udon.
- Top with 2 Tempura shrimps and 2 slices of Naruto fish cake.
- Garnish with chopped shallots and sprinkle a little bit of shichimi togarashi if you like a little bit of spice.
Chopstick Chronicles is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.