The well-known and well loved teriyaki sauce will always go perfectly with crispy and juicy plump chicken thigh meat. Teriyaki Chicken is such a classic Japanese dish that is beyond simple to make!
Chicken thigh VS Chicken breast meat for Teriyaki Chicken?
My verdict is Chicken Thigh. I can see my daughter making a face sitting next to me as I write this because she absolutely hates chicken thigh meat. But, to make juicy and classic Japanese teriyaki chicken you need chicken thigh with the skin on. Chicken thigh has more flavour and chicken breast meat is too dry for Teriyaki Chicken.
3 Golden Tips to make the perfect Teriyaki Chicken
- No oil, and pan fry the skin side first.
Score the chicken thigh to make the meat even. Heat the frying pan over medium heat and don’t add any oil
because the chicken skin will produce more than enough oil.
- Remove excess oil with kitchen paper while pan frying, otherwise the oil will separate the sauce from the chicken meat.
- Pour over the teriyaki sauce and reduce the teriyaki sauce a little bit. You can tell by looking at the bubble the teriyaki sauce creates.
No more store bought Teriyaki sauce
Teriyaki sauce is an easy condiment to make and it can be stored for a month refrigerated. It only requires 4 ingredients and if you love Japanese food and cook authentic Japanese food, you may already have all 4 ingredients in your pantry. It is definitely worthwhile to make your own and check out my Teriyaki sauce recipe.
Teriyaki Chicken can be arranged into different dishes
As you already know, you can use teriyaki chicken as rolled sushi fillings and for other dishes like Teriyaki chicken don (Teriyaki chicken bowl), Teriyaki chicken burgers, Teriyaki Chicken sandwich, etc. Previously, I chopped up the chicken thigh into small pieces to be able to eat it easily with a pair of chopsticks. You can cut the chicken thigh before cooking but if you do, you need to add oil to the pan. These small bitesized Teriyaki chicken is great for Teriyaki Chicken Donburi (rice bowl).
Here is my recipe for Teriyaki Chicken and If you liked it, please rate it and leave a comment below. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Facebook , Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with all the latest happenings on Chopstick Chronicles. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #ChopstickChronicles so I can see your wonderful creations!
- 1 Chicken thigh the thigh just has more flavour 500g
- 50 ml Teriyaki sauce
- Score the chicken thigh meat and open up to make the meat thickness even.
- Poke the chicken thigh skin with a fork in order to allow the sauce to go through easily.
- Heat a large frying pan on high heat (you do not need oil)
- Once the pan has heated, place the chicken meat on the pan with the skin side down
- Brown the side and make the skin crisp for about 5 minutes. Remove any oil produced from the skin as much as possible.
- When the skin is crisped, turn the meat over and cook the other side.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken meat. Keep pouring sauce over the chicken meat with a spoon until the teriyaki sauce has reduced a little bit.
- When the sauce starts to make bigger bubbles around the chicken and the sauce has thickened, turn the heat off and remove the pan from the heat.
- Slice the chicken thigh about 2 cm thick to serve with your choice of vegetables.