A tasty meat patty coated with teriyaki sauce and served on a rice bun; it’s the classic hamburger with a Japanese twist!
This is another delicious way to use teriyaki sauce that doesn’t require any special tools or ingredients! This is a perfect lunch idea and a great way to add a little Japanese flavour to a barbeque!
I think it was the famous Japanese burger chain, Mos Burger, that created the rice burger in Japan a while ago and since then it has been popular among Japanese people since we generally eat rice more than bread. Mos Burger’s teriyaki burger is made with chicken, however, I made this patty out of a pork and veal mince mixture. If you prefer chicken then that’s totally fine and you can definitely use that!
It doesnt really matter what meat, it’s the teriyaki sauce that’s the best part. It gives the burger a delicious slightly sweet taste and makes it so Japanese! I think teriyaki rice burgers are such a brilliant idea because it’s basically eating one classic Japanese meal in one go all together; teriyaki meat, vegetables, and rice!
The secret to get the rice to stick together is to make a 1/3 of the rice using sticky glutenous rice, the type we use to make mochi. To make the rice into a patty shape all you need to do is press the rice down into a small cake tin or make your own form by following the same guide that’s in the Extra Thick and Fluffy Pancakes recipe. I hope you enjoy making this burger!
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 1 cup glutenous rice sticky rice
- 250 g mince
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- Pinch of Salt Pepper & Nutmeg
- 1 cup of Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tbs Katakuriko potato starch
- 4 slices of tomato
- Lettuce leaves
- Sesame seeds
- Wash the rice and cook according to your rice cooker instructions or if you don't have a rice cooker look here.
- Cut the onion finely and cook them in a frying pan over low heat till brown.
- Place the mince, egg, panko crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and onion into a large bowl and mix them well.
- Divide the mince mixture into 4 small balls and shape them into flat circle patties.
- Heat some cooking oil in a large frying pan and cook the mince pattiess over medium heat.
- Cook until meat is cooked through and patties are browned on both sides then put aside.
- Follow the Teriyaki Sauce recipe then mix the Katakuriko with 2 tbs of water and add it to the teriyaki sauce and continuously stir till the sauce is thickened.
- Prepare the rice patties then place the patties, teriyaki sauce, lettuce, and tomato into the rice buns then sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve!