Easy oven-baked chicken drumsticks coated in the best marinade ever made from a combination of soy sauce, oyster sauce, curry powder and garlic to give the chicken a tasty coating of the char siu flavour! The chicken is so tasty and tender and absorbs the marinade overnight so after it’s baked, every bite will pack a punch of the delicious sauce! These drumsticks are a great meal for dinner or finger-food for a party or even make a perfect post-workout protein snack!
About 20 years ago when I was still living in Japan, I was watching my favourite cooking show and they were teaching the recipe for these marinated pork char siu. It looked so good so I wrote down the recipe and I’ve kept it ever since; I even packed it with me when I moved to Australia and now I’m making the recipe again and sharing it with you! This is my favourite marinade flavour ever (obviously, I mean I kept the recipe for over 20 years and even took it with me when I left Japan) because it’s got a delicious asian flavour that makes the chicken drumsticks taste amazing!
Char siu, meaning “fork-roast”, is Chinese barbecued pork that is made from a mixture of honey, five-spice powder, hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, red food colouring, and a few other ingredients and is usually eaten with rice or served as a main dish. In Japan, however, it is typically served on top of ramen and usually isn’t made with the five-spice powder or red food colouring. I’m not a big fan of pork though so I decided to use chicken drumsticks instead, but you can definitely use this same marinade recipe to coat pork as well if you like. Once the chicken has marinated for a while, all you have to do is chuck it in the oven and let it roast then you can serve it however you like!
Oven-Baked Char Siu Flavoured Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 a large onion about 70g
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster Sauce
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Finely chop the onion and garlic and mix together with all other marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pierce the chicken drumsticks in several places with a fork then add to the marinade mix and rub the marinade in.
- Cover with saran wrap and leave in the fridge for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Bake the chicken drumsticks on 220 c (430 f) for about 20 minutes.
- Flip each chicken drumstick over and bake for a further 20 minutes so both sides are golden brown and crispy.