Hello, I am so excited to update this popular and everyone’s favourite Takikomi Gohan post. I am almost as excited as going to Adele concert. I missed out Adele but I am happy to cooking Takikomi Gohan and shooting new photos of this delicious Takikomi Gohan <3
I’m updating previously posted “Takikomi Gohan” this week! It’s beginning of Autumn here in Australia, which means I need some warm comfort food while I’m marking and reporting students progress in my Japanese classes. School holiday is around the corner.
Takikomi Gohan is a bit of a tongue twister and quite a big word to pronounce but it is very easy to make. All you need to do is measure and chop up all the ingredients, put them all in a rice cooker and push the button and while you are exercising or doing other work (or in my case, sleeping), it’s being cooked.
Takikomi Gohan is also called “Gomoku Gohan”. Takikomi Gohan is cooked rice with dashi, soy sauce and other seasoning along with fresh vegetables and meat. I usually use mushrooms, as I love mushrooms, and chicken breast for my protein intake. You can use whatever you like so there are a lot of variations in terms of ingredients. I used chicken, tofu, mushrooms and carrots in the recipe but you can replace these with salmon, green beans etc. Most of the Japanese ingredients are available from major supermarkets nowadays. You can easily find them in the Asian or International food aisle.
The best part of this rice is the burnt rice at the bottom of the rice cooker. My sisters and I always fought for getting that part of rice. Hope you enjoy the recipe and if you are interested in purchasing the rice cooker, check it in the SHOP.
- 2 cups short grain white rice I use Sunrice Sushi rice
- 150 g Chicken breast Chicken thigh if you lie more flavour
- 30 g carrot
- 1 packet shimeji mushrooms(If Himeji is not available any mushrooms will do. I used Shiitake mushroom in the photo
- 1 sheet deep fried tofu(It is also called "Aburaage" which can be found in the cold food aisle or any Asian Grocery store
- 2 tsp Dashi powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs sake
- 2 tbs mirin
- 2 stickes Natvia or 1tbs sugar
- Rinse the rice a few times and soak in water for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into about 1 cm sized dice, and slice the carrot, deep fried tofu, and mushrooms
- Set the vegetables aside and drain the rice then place it int he rice cooker.
- Add all the seasonings in a measuring cup and add water to make a total of 21/4 cups(that is, the water and the seasoning should together equal 21/4 cups) and pour onto the rice in the rice cooker.
- Put the rice cooker per your rice cooker's instructions and cook the rice.
- Serve in a rice bowl